To finish the trifecta of self-reflection for the New Year and also because I can only write unimaginative things because of the most inflamed and painful sinuses I have ever had, here are some things I’d like to achieve in the next year. I’m not going to beat myself up if I don’t do all of this, but it’s useful to have some focus. Also, I really like lists.
- Write! The whole point of this blog – I’m going to try and write something every day. I love writing, and always have, but haven’t yet found my voice. I’m hoping that if I keep to the discipline of one piece every day, even a trifling list like this, I can develop a style that’s engaging and create work that has a point. (I’m not very good at points – my tendency is to waffle round a subject I’m interested in and not conclude anything concrete from these wafflings. ) This probably has something to do with the fact that I think while I talk, rather than before. Perhaps this process will change that.
- Music! My goal is to write more songs. I have a hit rate of about 3 or 4 a year. This is not a lot. I get hung up on perfection, on capturing the spirit of the idea in my head in the best way possible. In 2017, I’d like to get to the point where I can throw lots of songs out there and have lots of them fail, and still end up with 3 or 4 songs in the repertoire. (This is also writing, I guess. There’s a theme here.)
- Relationships! I said in my post that I owed lots of people emails. And I still do! Life is busy, yo. But I say it again – I would like to be better this year at visits and seeing people and catching up.
- Travel! I haven’t travelled nearly enough in the last few years, mostly thanks to a lack of disposable income. I have a list of places I’d like to go to, which I’m going to save for another lazy list post.
- Career! I’m pretty good at fundraising and while it’s still interesting, I’m not completely sure it’s what I want do forever. I’m luckily currently in a workplace, where there seem to be opportunities to develop in a different direction, which I’m keen to take. So, a vague aim – by the end of the year, I’d like to have a better idea of what I want to be when I grow up.
Right, 5 things, nearly 500 words, it must be Ibruprofen and sleep time. May Lord Azrael spare your life until we meet again.